So here we are with the before picture of the laundry room. As you can see, storage was limited, I really didn't like the floor and well, my washer and dryer doors opened into each other making it very hard to do laundry. The washer had also started running its own cycles, I'd put it on a 15-minute quick wash and come back to find it said 50 minutes!
So after much back and forth we finally decided on what we were going to do. New floors, new cabinets, panel over the window and new paint. On top of all of that, my very wonderful in-laws gave us the gifts of new washer and dryer! The last time they had visited she had laundry to do and was very frustrated with my existing duo!
Randy wanted to update a few other things as well, so he stripped back the paneling behind the machines to replace the dryer vent and makeover the existing plumbing.
Next up was the floor. After removing the pergo, we found the old vinyl, which I told him looked better than the pergo had!
In any event, the process moved on and paneling went up, painting happened and flooring went in!
I chose a really nice light shade of green for the room. We added water to the paint to thin it down so that the wood grain would still show. It sort of looks weathered and beachy to me, which is a good thing!
Next came my new washer and dryer, I never knew I'd get so happy over appliances!!!
Aren't they lovely? I love that the doors open away from each other and that both are lighted. As a bonus, they are high enough that I can see inside but not so high that I can't put the detergent it lol. I don't think manufacturers think much about those of us that are vertically challenged!
Next came the cabinets.
The first set went over the washer and dryer. There had been a small one there before that I never used because of how high up it was. Same deal here too, mostly these will hold light bulbs and stuff that I don't need often on top. The lower cabinets get paper goods because I can reach that with my small step stool.
The tall cabinets are shelves on top and drawers on the bottom. All my cleaning supplies are loaded into them and I still have empty spaces! The lower cabinets under the counter are for pet stuff and car cleaning stuff. The uppers have gotten a mix of stuff, essential oil supplies, storage containers and some indoor gardening stuff. Again, I still have empty shelves up top, but I need a taller step stool for these, I asked Randy to build me a two-step, step stool but he hasn't gotten to it yet.
After the cabinets came some Randy magic!
We had gone around about what to do in the corner behind the door. I told him I wanted a bench, a place for work shoes, hooks and a place for our reusable bags. Ta-freakingda! He used leftover counter top and melamine scraps he had from other projects to build our bench and the cubbies above. Now the only issue I have is the upper shelf is WAY up there and I can't reach it at all. So I'm not sure what will end up in there, maybe hats or something lol.
Now I say almost because, we haven't picked out trim and the closet in the laundry room needs an overhaul. It got a new floor, now it needs new shelves, nice white ones that won't give me splinters and that are spaced better so that I can actually store things like a vertically challenged girl needs to!
So there you have it. My 95% completed laundry room. Once it's 100% it's on to the kitchen for a minor update, than the great room, than...well who knows!!!