The weekend started with delivery of our new deck furniture in two big boxes. Of course things couldn’t be smooth and easy and we are missing two complete sets of hardware for two chairs and the light fixture’s battery compartment is cracked so I’ll be making the call on Monday for the replacement parts. We like the furniture a lot though it’s consider counter height, so it’s a little taller and instead of looking at the rails I can see over them.
We worked some more on clearing out the briars, brambles and bittersweet behind the bird feeders. We left a small patch of dog rose and scrub trees for cover until we get the larger plants that go in that area. The birds are desperate for evergreen safety from the hawks, especially in the winter.
We put the first set of hollies over there, planted them as a break between the bee area (future pool, wildflower meadow?) and the birds. When they grow back (as they were eaten into nothing this winter) they will provide food and shelter, I love double duty plants!
The top bar hive is buzzing with activity, they had filled all the bars with new comb so I added 3 more and moved the follower board all the way to the end, this also gave them a second entrance which I think was needed as there was a constant clog at the first. (See if you can spot the Queen, she just happens to be in this picture!)
I also added empty boxes and frames to the two Langs in hopes that they are doing their bee things. In all honesty I don’t want to inspect them at all, it just seems to me like every time you disturb them, they falter. The fading hive is still fading, there is a handful of bees they’ve all moved into the top box on a small piece of comb, they seem content enough to be eating and collecting nectar.
On Sunday we transplanted 5 azaleas from the bed in the middle of the driveway to one of the areas we cleared last weekend. I explained to them that if they allowed us to move them to this new location, they would no longer be eaten. That they would be allowed to grow and thrive and bloom freely. They happily agreed to come and are now happily planted I’ve high hopes for these rag tag azaleas!
There is one left in the middle of the driveway and it’s a big un’! I suspect she’ll need a bit more convincing to move, but I’m sure I can persuade her!
Randy decided to work a little more on the glider since we had the replacement brackets. He got it all assembled and it works but it sits very low without the bend in the bracket like the original. So in addition to needing to unbend some bends in the metal, now he needs to bend the new brackets. Still it’s a piece of my family history, dings and dents included!
Cooper continues to grow, though he seems to have no idea how big he is. He is a continual source of joy with his playtime with Ally and his sleeping positions.